Here's the countdown to the start of Oktoberfest 2024...

Visit Dave Finlay's Oktoberfest Resources site to learn more about our past visits, some history and interesting anecdotes.


Click the Arrow for the Live Feed

Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Homework Assignment!

OK,

Only 40 some odd days left to go! I propose we find the pefect beer garden/hall to visit. I think it should be:
  • A place we have never visited
  • 3 1/2 beers or higher in BDG2M (link above)
  • A place of tradition and learning
  • Good food (we could have lunch there sat or sun)
  • Not a major touristy thing
So everyone's homework is to propose a place, I'll consolidate and publish a list.

My suggestion:

Liebhards Braustuberl! A perfect trip outside of Munich, to the Ayinger brewery (tours available), and a great out of the way traditional place to go have a beer. easy to get to, S-Bahn 6 to Aying.

7 comments:

Chugger said...

Barley Man...

A wonderful challenge you have proposed. I recommend Siebenbrunn (http://www.beerdrinkersguide.com/BDGWebsite/Gardens/Siebenbrunn.htm), with one caveat. I do not have my BDG2M book at work, and the web site does not give directions, so we need to see where it actually is.

BarleyMan said...

Sounds good I'd like to see (and hear) the effects of Einfahrt having a Mass of Bier and eating a Zebra sandwich!

May be kind of touristy (right by zoo) and full of ankle biters.

Chugger said...

S-Bahn to Marienplatz
Bus 52 to Tierpark (take final stop at Zoo)
Follow the Yellow Brick Road

paulaner girl said...

I have 2 suggestions:

Why don't we revisit Larry's favorite beer garden in Munich- Seehaus? We haven't been there in years.

If you insist on somewhere new, how about Franziskaner Garten?
www.franziskanergarten.de
Apparently it's under new management and has been included for the first time in the BDG. It got a 4 stein rating. I don't know if it's place of learning.
I tried to look at the menu however my German is still limited to pissort and bier, not in that order.

schlumbergerlady said...

Menterschwaige (www.menterschwaige.de). Also not far from centre.

BarleyMan said...

All great suggestions. I willd raft a pros and cons list that we can have with us, and depending ont he weather, choose. I'll try to figure out which ones would be better for rainy days versus sunny days.

Paul Savage said...

Some nice ones for you lads :
Hirschgarten , reachable by Tram 16 from Hauptbahnhof, the largest beer garden in Munich.


Hirschau : in the Englishgarten area, behind where the Seehaus is, over the pedestrian bridge and to the the left.

Regards,
Paul

paulsavage.eu