Here's the countdown to the start of Oktoberfest 2024...

Visit Dave Finlay's Oktoberfest Resources site to learn more about our past visits, some history and interesting anecdotes.


Click the Arrow for the Live Feed

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Responsibilities Being Assigned

Since every excursion requires key contributions from select people, it is time to apportion out some of those responsibilities. The first responsibility is ensuring that people get where they are supposed to be, when they are supposed to be. This is most important on the first day, and even more important for "newbies". Typically a veteran is assigned to a rookie to watch out for the unexpected and to guide that rookie through the trials and tribulations that can occur. So, as the self appointed Grand Oktoberfestian of this year's trip, after in-depth consultations with others more knowing and exulted, I make the following proclamation...

... Whereas the first veteran is scheduled to arrive in Munich at 9:50AM on UA #906, and

... Whereas the next contingent of Oktoberfestians, including three "newbies" is scheduled to arrive in Munich at 10:35AM on US #14,

... It is now proclaimed that.....

BarleyMan, the first of the aforementioned veteran Oktoberfestians is the first arrival in Munich and is hereby assigned the ultimate responsibility to ensure the first day's "newbies" arrive on time and safely. This responsibility includes directing the sojourn through the maze of the Munich U-Bahn/S-Bahn. In addition, this responsibility requires ensuring that the first Oktoberfest Brew (or any liquid with a head) is available to the Grand Oktoberfestian and his court as they arrive at the appointed Oktoberfestian Residence (aka the freakin' hotel). This entrance is expected to occur at approximately 13:15, depending on the cooperation of Delta Airlines and Air France.

After pleasantries are exchanged and initial brews are sampled, it is then off to the promised land to explore the limits of our livers and bladders.

5 comments:

Chugger said...

Bow when you say that, oh Master of Sucker Upping.

Einfahrt said...

I didn't see the Barleyman acknowledging his assignment. Willful disobedience? Selective blog reading? Passive-aggresive behavior?

Chugger said...

or just his head in the proverbial sand?

BarleyMan said...

I AM SPEAKING

Thank you for this Grand Honour. I could not respond as I was off reviewing selected brews in a nearby hamlet.

I accept the mantle of responsibility, and will ensure safe arrival and steady transition to the "Land that Time Forgot".

I have the Royal Orb and Seplechre. My nymph, uhhh I mean assistant, Paulaner Girl and I will blaze the trail.

BarleyMan said...

I AM SPEAKING


I need a title, my leige. I have always wanted to be a Duke, so if the Board of Patronage is willing, I will be forever known as "Sir Barleyman, first Duke of Dunkle".

Hear Ye, Hear Ye, all exalt the First Duke of Dunkle.