Here's the countdown to the start of Oktoberfest 2024...

Visit Dave Finlay's Oktoberfest Resources site to learn more about our past visits, some history and interesting anecdotes.


Click the Arrow for the Live Feed

Thursday, June 11, 2009

A New Type of Blog Entry

As I sit on my patio with my laptop and a glass of wine (hope the wine isn't sacrilegious on a bier site), I began to reminisce. My mind wandered, and I began to see bier gnomes cavorting in my back yard. They looked oddly familiar. One was carrying a large sack of barley, another was disturbing my concentration through loud intestinal rumblings and expulsions as he marked his territory.

As they went about their activity, I noticed something intriguing yet puzzling. Something, or someone, was missing. I couldn't pinpoint the discrepancy, so I went over to them to ask. They spoke in a tongue that was totally unfamiliar to me; even with my vast travel experience and cultural exposure. Being bier gnomes, I expected to hear German, or at least something vaguely familiar. But no, it almost sounded like Dutch. It wasn't Dutch, but was more like a combination of a French accent, with Chinese sounding phrases, interspersed with something from eastern Russia. We could not communicate. So I drank some more wine, and offered them a bier. It took awhile, but once they understood, they began slamming the Hofbrauhaus Dunkel I had in the 'fridge.

After 3 biers each, their garbled speech began to make some sense. Maybe the wine was affecting my senses. As they began to walk away, I finally realized my earlier puzzlement. I was in the middle of a Joe Shannon story.

It made no sense, moved all over the place, and no matter how much I tried to change the topic, they managed to pick right back up where they left off. Ahh, I was about to go insane. Ever have that feeling when listening to Joe?

Fortunately, the story I was in was actually a dream. Joe was not really there. Or at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I think there is a moral here somewhere, but I cannot find one. I'm sure Marion's pizza and a pitcher of Budweiser for lunch with Einfahrt had nothing to do with it. Don't punish me bier gods, Einfahrt ordered the swill. I'm sure I will be paying for it in other ways for 2 more days.

2 comments:

BarleyMan said...

Sorry Chugger, I fell asleep while reading your story. ;-)

Barbus said...

I feel sorry for your roommates :)