The 2022 Bier Immersion onslaught and Oktoberfest visit are in the history books. What will 2023 bring for our intrepid band of bier connoisseurs? Here's the countdown to the start of Oktoberfest 2023...

Visit Dave Finlay's Oktoberfest Resources site to learn more about our past visits, some history and interesting anecdotes.


Click the Arrow for the Live Feed

Saturday, March 12, 2005

As The Beatles said.... "Day Tripper, yeah ! !"

Well, almost. As I sit down to do one of my mid-terms today, I'm looking for any excuse to procrastinate. I thought I would start the topic pertaining to the second most important part of the trip.... our day trips. For the repeat offenders, you know what I mean. For the newbies, we take day trips during the day to various culturally significant spots (aka they serve beer), then return to Munich for frivolity in the evening. We typically try to limit our day trips to a maximum 2 hr. one way train ride. That gives us plenty of time to see the sights, and be able to be back late afternoon or early evening.

So, while we have three days for trips this time (Saturday, Sunday and Monday), there can certainly be more than three trips available. Everyone does not need to go to the same place, and we actually encourage that since some destinations offer things some of you may not enjoy.

Maybe like the barfatorium at Kloster Andechs...

Kloster Andechs is always our traditional destination on Sunday. It provides us our religious pilgrimage, while satisfying our thirst for freshly brewed beer from a the oldest Monkery we know of. Also, what's a Sunday without pork products as well.

Other recommendations for this year include a return to Neuschwanstein, a trip to Würzburg, for some wine tasting, maybe a trip to Dachau to see either the concentration camp or the beautiful city. Now's the time to start thinking about other alternatives as well. As I said, everyone does not need to go together, or to the same places. With this large crowd, we might even encourage that.

So..... what do you think? I'll chime back in later.

4 comments:

BarleyMan said...

Get back to your mid terms... you weenie! Stop dreaming of Munchen and the cold beer, waiting for you, eager to provide enjoyment.

Chugger said...

Dreaming hell..... I have one sitting right in front of me.

paulaner girl said...

I am voting on Wurzburg if others are interested. I REALLY want to go back to Englisher gardens, we didn't go last time I was there. I however am pretty much ok with anything, as long as we go back there. I would also like to try to see the inside Schloss Nymphenburg

Dopplebach said...

You guys do seem to have a lot of time on your hands to be able to do so much blog posting. Thanks to Chugger for this extensice Day Trip post. I hope that EinFahrt will take note of the jacket in the picture. It is 'the' Shannon signature look. I am looking forward to the trip after last years absence. Is Paulaner Girl making the trip this year? I had heared at least rumors that Barleyman2 (or is that Barleyboy) was a planned attendee.