The 2022 Bier Immersion onslaught and Oktoberfest visit are in the history books. What will 2023 bring for our intrepid band of bier connoisseurs? Here's the countdown to the start of Oktoberfest 2023...

Visit Dave Finlay's Oktoberfest Resources site to learn more about our past visits, some history and interesting anecdotes.


Click the Arrow for the Live Feed

Friday, September 04, 2009

On a More Serious Note

Most of you probably don't know that I was diagnosed with a DVT (deep vein thrombosis) after our trip to Belize in March. I apparently have a previously undiagnosed clotting disorder. Since this is my first flight since the diagnosis, as our trip approaches, I have started worrying more about DVT. While I'm on Coumadin, my risk is a lot lower. But the rest of you should be aware of the risks for everyone, not just those of us with clotting disorders.

Untreated DVTs will progress on to PE (pulmonary emboli) 50% of the time. Mine went undiagnosed for about 3 weeks, so I was pretty lucky. Every year, PE kills more Americans than AIDS and breast cancer combined. Risks for a thrombotic event that some or all of us share include age greater than 40, obesity, smoking, and long-distance travel, along with multiple more specific risks, such as mine. A 4 hour flight increases the risk of a thrombotic event by 50%. According to my hematologist, dehydration and cabin pressure changes, along with confined seating are some of the contributing factors to the increased risk of travel. Alcohol intake on a flight contributes to dehydration.

So, probably the most important thing that I will be bringing (and wearing on the flight) are my support stockings. I decided not to post a picture of them, they're definitely not sexy!

So here are recommended exercises for flying:
Ankle Circles
Slowly rotate the feet at the ankle in circles both clockwise and counter clockwise.
Seated Calf Raises
Start with the feet flat on the floor. Slowly raise the heels off the ground bringing the feet up on the toes. Lower the heels and press them into the floor and try to raise the toes off the ground.
Knee Raises
Lift the knees up towards the chest. This can be performed with both knees together or one at a time.
Reach
Raise the arms above the head and elongate the finger tips towards the ceiling, stretching the upper body.
Neck Stretch
Slowly drop the head to one side, almost to touch the shoulder. Circle the head to the front, chin to chest, and over to the other side.
More Tips
Travelers can incorporate additional practices during long flights for comfort and safety. Avoid tight fitting clothing when traveling. Garments should be loose and comfortable while seated. Also, increase leg room by removing items from under the seat in front. If there is no room in the overhead bin, pull the bag out and allow it to sit under the knees so that the legs can be stretched out. Air travel can be very dehydrating to the body. It is beneficial to regularly consume water and fruit juices throughout the duration of the flight.

My dear spouse says that if I die of a PE on this trip, he will have me cremated and put my ashes in a stein, so that I can sit on the table with you all. He's so considerate that way!

Next week I promise to post something a little more light hearted. Maybe a picture of my shoes!

3 comments:

Chugger said...

If I were to say something compassionate, that would be touchy-feely and way out of character. If I were to say something obnoxios, that would be expected, but still obnoxious.

So, I guess the only thing intelligent to say is, we need pictures of said stockings.

schlumbergerlady said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
paulaner girl said...

Chugger, I would expect nothing less from you.