Here's the countdown to the start of Oktoberfest 2024...

Visit Dave Finlay's Oktoberfest Resources site to learn more about our past visits, some history and interesting anecdotes.


Click the Arrow for the Live Feed

Friday, July 22, 2005

Train Passes Revisited: Yes or No ?

I believe it is time for a final discussion/decision on whether we should get train passes or not. My current opinion is No. What do you think?

I base my opinion on the following...
A twin pass costs $135US per person. So, assuming my math is correct, that's about $270 for the passes. Now, those passes will provide unlimited Deutsche Bahn travel and S-Bahn travel around Munich (not the U-Bahn). Looking at our proposed trips, the only true Deutsche Bahn travel would be to Kloster Weltenburg. This is approximately 18.8 Euro per person each way. At an exchange rate of $1.25 per Euro, that is about $93 for two people round trip.

An U-bahn single day/all zone pass, with a partner is 16 Euro ($20). So, even if a pass was purchased for four days, that's another $80. Total expenditures for train travel approximately $173; saving $100 over the passes. Now, I know I've probably underestimated a few things, but even with that, it seems like the pay-as-you-go method works out better.

Let the discourse begin......

4 comments:

Barbus said...

Did you count the train pass Airport/Central station v.v. to it?

Chugger said...

I did not count the travel from the airport. That is about 12 Euros I believe, so with round rips, that is $60 for two people two trips. Savings is now $40.

BarleyMan said...

Mr. MBA.... wow... You got your money's worth!!!!

I say NO to the Twin pass as Paulaner Girl may find some Aryan Hunk to hang with, and then I would have no pass. ;-)

Einfahrt said...

Excellent analysis. No train passes - excepting perhaps the Mr and Bonie Grumpy