Here's the countdown to the start of Oktoberfest 2024...

Visit Dave Finlay's Oktoberfest Resources site to learn more about our past visits, some history and interesting anecdotes.


Click the Arrow for the Live Feed

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Hotel Food

I have been worried about the restaurant and fanciness of the Excelsior and here's what I found out about the Hotel food. I am worried about a culture clash.
--------------
Michael Huesken
Executive Chef de Cuisine


Dear Barley Man,

I have worked as a Chef for the last 12 years, having gained expertise while working at several famous Parisian hotels. For the last three years I have been working at the neighbouring Hotel Konigshof's Michelin Star Restaurant and the Excelsior's Vinothek, known as one of the hottest spots in town.

My style is Mediterranean, using local and seasonal ingredients, so the menu changes every two weeks. We are open seven days a week for lunch and dinner, offering a wide variety from Italian pasta dishes to new German specialities. We are famous for our wine list, with over 400 different brands, ranging from a wide variety of German and Austrian white wines to rare and old Bordeaux, many of them served by the glass. The Vinothek is very lively and has a fun and relaxed atmosphere and is always popular with locals.

Michael Huesken,
Executive Chef de Cuisine,
Hotel Excelsior, Munich

________

I then got a note on my request to the Hotel Alfa:

Ziegfried von Stuebben
Executive Chef de Cuisine


Dear Barley Man,

I have worked as a Cook for the last 47 years, having gained expertise while working at several famous Hauptbahnhof pizza stands. I pioneered the first Tuna Fish Pizza (served only past 11pm). For the last three years I have been working at the neighbouring Gryo To Go restaurant and the Alfa's premium breakfast buffet, known as one of the hottest spots in town.

My style is simple, using local and seasonal ingredients, so the menu changes every day. I buy what is cheap off the truck driven by a Hungarian gypsy that meanders through the streets looking for gullible customers. We are open seven days a week for breakfast, offering a wide variety from Italian pepperoni slices to new German specialities such as warm orange juice to Limburger cheese. We are famous for our coffee and dry toast. The Alfa is very lively and has a fun and relaxed atmosphere and is always popular with locals. The morning time is especially fun, as most guests are just trying to keep thier food down from a night of heavy drinking.

Ziegfried von Stuebben,
Executive Chef de Cuisine,
Hotel Alfa, Munich

6 comments:

Chugger said...

Is there a way to get both chefs to share ideas? I can only imagine the excited faces when eating a piece of Tuna Fish Pizza along with a glass of old Bordeaux.

Barbus said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Barbus said...

I only know Siegfried von Stuebben from Horse saddles:

Dressursattel "Siegfried" von Stübben. Aus hochwertigem Rindsleder, leicht genarbt,
Wildleder-Knieabschluss.
Original Stübben-Stahlfederbaum. Tiefsitz.
Wollkissen. 3 Jahre Garantie.
Farbe : hellbraun, Grösse : 17“.
Spezialpreis: Fr. 1200.—Euro 900.--


http://www.muller-equitation.ch/reitsport1.html

So what do I miss ??

Einfahrt said...

Um. Gyros from street vendors. Tuna fish pizza direct from the street. Warm cold cuts for breakfast. Pigs knuckles dripping with fat.

Anyone want to recommend a nice restaurant for at least one evening of fine dining?

BarleyMan said...

I love the Gyros from the place by the Alfa. My favorite memory is waking up, smelling of onions, and taking a bite of the Gyro sitting on the pillow next to me and going back to sleep.

Honest Officer, I was just drunk, not crazy.....

paulaner girl said...

Those gyros burnt a hole in my esopagus on the way down and on the way back up!!!!!