Here's the countdown to the start of Oktoberfest 2024...

Visit Dave Finlay's Oktoberfest Resources site to learn more about our past visits, some history and interesting anecdotes.


Click the Arrow for the Live Feed

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Bow Your Heads... A Sad Day for Dayton Beer Drinkers

It was announced yesterday (27 Jul 05) that our local and most beloved Micro Brewery, the Thirsty Dog, will no longer be brewing beer Crying . The brewing equipment has been sold, and the brew room will become just another dining area for large groups.

We new something was in the air because management actually tried to sell the place to Einfahrt and Chugger twice. As recently as the past two months a partner is quoted as saying... "make me an offer and I'll push it through".

While we do not know when the final drop of on-site brewed beer will flow, we are sure a worldwide moment of silence would be appropriate as we down our last mug of Goldings Retriever, Wheat Weiler, Robinson' s Pale Ale and the signature brew.... Old Leghumper
Crying.

Please raise your glasses, your mugs, and especially your Maß in honor of our loss. While they will still carry other microbrewed beers on tap, it will never be the same drinking a fresh one right from the premises. Crying.

4 comments:

BarleyMan said...

Tell me it ain't so.....

Do we have to send our dog tags back in?

BarleyMan said...

I was just recalling when they opened. We had waited for good beer in Dayton for so long.

Make sure you fill some Growlers, or maybe a keg before they shut off the tap.

Are there any alternatives?

Are all the Thirsty Dog's closing?

Chugger said...

In Dayton there will be no alternatives for true local microbrewed beer. This facility isn't exactly closing (at least not yet), they are just stopping beer production. As of now, though, the other two Thirsty Dogs (Akron & Canton) are closed. So you can onlyimagine what will happen next.

As much as I love the place, I didn't go there because it served food and beer. I went there because it served freshly brewed microbrews. Even if they stock up on microbrews from other places, it will be difficult for me to cal lit "my local pub".

I'll probably go there occasionally, but certainly not with the frequency their revenue coffers have come to expect.

Chugger said...

"cal lit"?

You have been gone too long from Dayton. That is Dayton Ebonics. Put it into context... the sentence was "it will be difficult for me to cal lit "my local pub".

That means... yo "cal"... (aka Cal), can you "lit" (let) my Home Boy consume mass quantities at my local pub?

Bottom line... at least all of the letters were there :-)