Here's the countdown to the start of Oktoberfest 2024...

Visit Dave Finlay's Oktoberfest Resources site to learn more about our past visits, some history and interesting anecdotes.


Click the Arrow for the Live Feed

Friday, April 08, 2005

Two "Trial Runs" Before Munich

As if I need to practice, but I will have two opportunities within the next 6 weeks to hone my Hofbrauhaus skills. During the first week of May, the 1st through the 6th, I will be in Las Vegas along with Barleyman for an industry trade show. For those of you who are not aware, there is a Hofbrauhaus "franchise" in Vegas. This place is built to the same scale and decorations as the original in Munich, and serves the same beer and food. I was actually able to attend the official grand opening of this fine facility last January, and even got my meal and beer paid for by the management. I just showed them my Beer Drinker's Guide to Munich Field Researcher's membership card, told them I was doing official research for the next book, and voila, free stuff ! ! !! Thanks to Larry for such a wonderful idea.

A few weeks later, on May 22nd through the 25th, I will be in Munich. The great experience this time is that my hotel is directly across the street from the Hofbrauhaus... I wonder if they are open for breakfast ! ! ! Hopefully between these two training sessions, I will be back in shape for the grand excursion this fall.

1 comment:

BarleyMan said...

Chugger-

We expect "real time" reporting on this visit. Of course I will be there to supervise. ;-)

I am anxious to see how "real' it is and if they stay true to the HBH venue, or if they will ONLY play polka music. I prefer the odd mix we here in Munich.

Speaking of Munich, I just had a fantastic 2003 Auslese from our friends at J.J. Prum. 2003 was a great year for the high quality German whites (Auslese, Berenauslese, and Trockenberenauslese.)