Here's the countdown to the start of Oktoberfest 2024...

Visit Dave Finlay's Oktoberfest Resources site to learn more about our past visits, some history and interesting anecdotes.


Click the Arrow for the Live Feed

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Home Brew?

Alkoholische, my dad, and I have been working on our own homebrew with some success.  My question is, do any of you homebrew and if so have you made anything even slightly similar to Auginstiner Hellas?  I figure with as much as you guys like the beer you might have run across something.  We can get Auginstiner bottles right down the street and they are rather tasty, though it is nothing like what we had over in the Father Land.  There are some Munich Hellas kits that I currently have my eyes on.  Any thoughts or advice?

2 comments:

Chugger said...

Barley Man, Einfahrt and myself have been huge home brewers in the past. After a break for a few years, Einfahrt and I stated again last year, but have lapsed recently.

We were typically ale brewers, but have ventured out into other challenges. We have not done a helles recently, but it is an easy and good beer to brew.

One thing we quickly did during our evolution was to go to all grain and stop using kits. It's more work, but you have much more flexibility and the fun is trying to replicate something you like.

Betrunken said...

We have only been hitting the kits and will for a time I think till we get the hang of it... I tell you, it is the one hobby that I feel that I was meant to do, though my wife is less than pleased in my alcohol endeavors.