Here's the countdown to the start of Oktoberfest 2024...

Visit Dave Finlay's Oktoberfest Resources site to learn more about our past visits, some history and interesting anecdotes.


Click the Arrow for the Live Feed

Friday, April 17, 2020

Let's play "What if..."

What if the powers to-be cancel Oktoberfest in late June? This will be a rough decision because they need to predict the future. Forget about why they do it, just assume for this game that they do cancel. And remember, this is an irrevocable cancellation. Once they make the decision they cannot reverse it in July or August, it takes too much effort to build the Wiesn.

In this scenario, what should our band of Oktoberfestians do? I believe we have two alternatives; 1) cancel our plans when the Fest is cancelled or 2) wait until the last minute to see if it is safe to travel and then go to Munchen even if no Oktoberfest. Still take day trips, still visit the Hofbrauhaus, Viktualienmarkt and Augustiner Keller.

Provide your thoughts. Something to discuss durring our next virtual meeting, if Barley Man ever gets it scheduled  :-)


Prost.

5 comments:

Flying Dan said...

Well for me I will probably go ahead and go. Will I miss Oktoberfest? Yes I will. On the other hand some of my best experiences have not been at the festivities, but at the bier halls and gardens. Take the market as an example, nothing like drinking bier and watching the locals. There are a lot bars that can be explored and maybe some new day trips that can be added.

Then again my opinion might be a bit shaded as I am married with children and my alternative is to stay home.

I am flying if the plane is going.

BarleyMan said...

I'll still go! We have a lot of Beer Gardens on our shirts to attend to.

But will they have us?

sittinginacornfield said...

I would still be up for going!

duncancw12 said...

I'd still be interested in going. Yes, covid has altered many plans, but I can't see this many businesses staying put indefinitely. As long as the borders are open it would be worthwhile to go.

Chugger said...

Glad to hear everyone would still be interested in a trip to München even if the Fest is cancelled. That's why I posted. Fingers crossed for a full experience, maybe I'll even extend my days.