Here's the countdown to the start of Oktoberfest 2024...

Visit Dave Finlay's Oktoberfest Resources site to learn more about our past visits, some history and interesting anecdotes.


Click the Arrow for the Live Feed

Friday, September 23, 2005

My Last Night at Thirsty Dog...

I know this is not Oktoberfest related (well maybe, it's about beer), but tonight was my last visit to "The Dog". Because of bad business practices (my opinion), Saturday is the last day of business for our one and only micro-brewery in Dayton.

Sadness abounds. After having lunch there today, I returned in the evening to participate in the removal of several hundreds of pounds of barley, hops and malt (into my car and Einfahrt's). Hopefully Einfahrt can figure out how to mix all of this shit together to make beer.

I was tricked into a chugging contest with a female type, who was Designated Walker's student teacher. Rumor is she is unbeatable, even though she is tall, thin and very slim. So I gave in and accepted the challenge, knowing I couldn't win (I beat her "she's just a girl"...I lose, "you got beat by a girl????"). So, after two challenges (which I won), Chugger lives up to his name and beats the pants (figuratively speaking of course) off of the challenger. Take that Darr-man ! !

Camaraderie (sp?) was everywhere, beer was flowing, and friends were exchanging pleasantries. Not often do you lose a good drinking establishment, but also a place where your friends congregate. Imagine the trauma when Cheers closed.

Another reason to renew and continue our friendship in munchen.

4 comments:

BarleyMan said...

Chugging against student teacher's huh? My how the mighty have fallen.

Sorry to hear about the "Dog". I'm glad I got my mug out in time.

Einfahrt said...

A sad scene. A bit like the Dickens scene with the ghost of Christmas future and the picking over of the possesions of Scrooge.

I did get some barley, hops, and malt. In fifty pound bags: way more than I need, have room for, or will use in the period that it is still useable. Some will go in big tuppers for use later. The rest - probably to the trash before it stinks up my garage.

I suppose we'll crank up the old home-brew equipment and see if we can recreate a few of the beers. I'd like to get the recipe for their Golding's Retreiver (golden ale.)

I'll miss the people, but also that particular brew. The place, the food, no.

BarleyMan said...

Einfahrt..

Well, you know better than I, but for as far as Dayton goes, it seemed to be a good facility as well. I can't think of a much better venue. Beats Kramer's, Timothy's, and the Nowhere. ;-)

Can't comment on the food, too long ago, and I couldn't stomach any food last time I was there.

Einfahrt said...

Barleyman,

The bars you cite don't set the standard real high. My peeve with the place was two-fold: it was laid out like a mexican restaurant ('cause it once was;) and its access was difficult.